Pages

Citrus swallowtail butterfly in Avery Ave

I noticed that a bright green caterpillar was eating the leaves of my ornamental miniature orange tree, and the next thing I knew, it had pupated and hatched into this extraordinarily beautiful citrus swallowtail butterfly. I bought the little tree for R60 at Ferndale Nursery on a special offer, last April, and since then it has been an absolute delight, going from little green balls to showy miniature oranges. And now this... WHAT A BARGAIN!


My miniature orange tree pot plant with a few leaves showing evidence of the citrus swallowtail caterpillar's munchings.
The empty pupal case, well camouflaged at the base of the tree. According to Andre Claassens, Cape Town's lepidopterist extraordinaire, the pupa demonstrates clearly how, while being formed, it adapts its colour to match that of that of its immediate environment. Sometimes the pupae are quite light in colour, sometimes green or of mixed colours. Amazing.